Scale Model / Hobby Airbrushes & Equipment
What basic things do you need to start making scale models?
It is a question that people who want to start building a scale model and start in this wonderful world of hobby always ask themselves. With this article I hope to help you with the basic tools, airbrushes, and products that every modeler should have.
Before starting I would like to number the stages that you must complete to assemble and paint a model:
1. Research, studies and collection of references
2. Assembly of the model (Tools to cut sprues and modeller's knife)
3. Glues (Glues for plastic, CA Glue for resins and photo-etched parts, glue for transparent parts and glues for gravel and vegetation)
4. Filing and sanding tools
5. Painting equipment
6. Decals Fix
1. Selection of the model, research and collection of references
For this first step in scale modeling. You just need tons of enthusiasm and a lot of desire to build a plane, ship, tank, figure or any model of your hobby preference and paint it with an airbrush.
Once you have selected the model you want to make, it is very important to carry out an investigation, read a little about its history and finally collect as many photos as possible since this will help you a lot in the construction process, the selection of colors to use and the right setting.
2. Assembly of the model
Once the model is selected and with the references ready, we proceed to the assembly, and it is very important to have good tools that help us cut the pieces of the tree without losing a finger in the attempt.
Here are some products I recommend:
Cutting Matt Mr Hobby MT 802:990 (It is a surface to cut without damaging your work table)
Mr Nipper single edge MT106:3200 (It is a tool with which you can cut the pieces of the tree and obtain a clean and above all safe cut)
Excel K18 Cushion Grip on Knife (is a fairly comfortable modeller's knife to be able to clean and detail the pieces well once they have been cut from the tree)
They are basically classified into glues for plastic, CA-type glues for resin or metal parts, glues for clear parts, and glues for gravel and vegetation.
- AMMO by MIG Glues extra thin cement
- AMMO by MIG Glues medium density cement. Slow Dry
- Mr Cement
- Mr Cement S
- Mr Cement SP
- Mr Cement SPB
- Mr Cement Deluxe
- Mr Cement Limonene Type
CA type glues:
- AMMO by MIG Glues instant Dry Cyanoacrylate
- AMMO by MIG Slow Dry Cyanoacrylate
- AMMO by MIG Black Slow Dry Cyanoacrylate
Glue for clear parts:
- AMMO by MIG Glues Ultra Glue for Etch, Clear Parts & More
- Mr Hobby Transparent Adhesive.
Gravel and vegetation glue:
- AMMO by MIG Glues Sand & Gravel Glue 100ml
4. Filing and sanding tools
They are tools that will allow you to sand or even polish the pieces for the paint job.
- GSI Creos Mr.Hobby Kiwami Modeling File Dead Smooth Cut MF12
- GSI Creos Mr.Hobby Kiwami Modeling File Single Cut Flat MF13
- GSI Creos Mr.Hobby Kiwami Modeling File blade Type Cut MF05
- GSI Creos Mr.Hobby Kiwami Modeling File Tapered Type (1 Side Blade)
- AMMO by MIG Accessories - STANDARD SANDING STICK
- AMMO by MIG Accessories - MULTIPURPOSE SANDING STICK
- AMMO by MIG Accessories - LARGE SURFACE SANDING STICK
- Excel Sanding Stick 55700
5. Equipment for painting
The equipment to have fun painting consists of a compressor and an airbrush, there is a wide variety of airbrushes and compressors, but this time I am going to recommend a versatile combination with which you can paint the vast majority of your projects without problems.
- NO-NAME Brand Mini Air Compressor Tooty
6. Decal Fix
- AMMO by MIG Accessories Ultra Decal- Fix
- AMMO by MIG Accessories Ultra Decal- Set
With this selection of some products and tools you will be able to successfully complete almost any modeling project that you intend to do. Do not be afraid of making a mistake as they will help you learn, do not be discouraged and above all things, enjoy the whole process a lot and never give up!
Text by Nestor Espinoza.